Feb 28, 2012

It really DOES matter.

I cut out fabric for 20 dolls a couple of weeks ago.  (Yes, I'm insane like that.)

A few were for the Linen Sisters (all sewn up and waiting for clothes now.)  Six of them were for future Izzies.  And five of them were for Queen Anne type dolls.  I use an Izzy sort of construction method for them but the pattern is elongated, skinnier, and taller. I call the pattern "Tall Dolls"...

But to the point.  Being the kind of dumpster-diving, scrap-saving, penny-pinching person I am, I lay out pattern pieces to save every possible inch of fabric.  And for the most part, this is a good thing.  I've always been careful to lay pattern pieces straight along the weave, never on the bias--I can't even wear a bias cut skirt because the stretch effect does not do my figure any favors.  BUT...what I discovered was that it also matters which way you lay them on the grain!

So...the dolls are stuffed and assembled...and different!  Same exact pattern, two totally different dolls.  The long-headed one was lain perpendicular to the selvage, the short-headed one was parallel to it.  I think this is pretty cool!  Now that I've sculpted said dolls, I kinda like the short-headed ones better for the Queen Annes, but the others are pretty shapes for milliners' model types, and I see an application for the Izzies, too. 




What an interesting variable to add into the mix!  I see more experiments in my future.

Cheers!
Jan

6 comments:

  1. It is interesting how laying the pattern on the fabric can make such a difference. You may have solved a problem I've been having with a project I've been working on. Now I'm going to do some experimenting. I can't wait to see some of these dolls you've been woring on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the WIPs. I have to admit to being a little less structured (read sloppy) when I work. I'm more of a "ooooh, let's chop this up and see what happens!" worker. I wish I wasn't. I am trying HARD to get organized. I think you are brilliant for cutting out 20 dolls at once. My biggest edition has been 3! haha! Can't wait to see them. I loved your Queen Anne doll. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experiments are always fun and we learn from them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Information from Helen Pringle was...cut the head on the bias to allow for more "give" when stuffing. Of course her dolls were all cloth, no clay. I tried this over and over and seemed to get different results every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to save on material to, but I usually waste some. I did find that if you put on a stockinet, it's better to run the grain vertical ( up and down ) that way if you want to antique, the lines help toward looking like cracks. It's hard to always remember to run you cloth up and down though and I forget alot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered this when making arms/hands for Izzies. One set was 'normal' and the other was wiiiiiiiide and fat. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why! Took Dixie to let me know that it was the layout that determined how this occurs! I'm still kinda lazy when it comes to the layout, but I do try to keep all parts lined up the same way on the fabric, be it long ways or side ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I love hearing your perspectives and ideas.