I started an experiment...well over a year ago. Figured I'd try my hand at a separate head shoulder for the dolls, the way the old maches, chinas and later compositions were made. So I set about with toilette paper rolls, styrofoam, glue, tape, mache paste, and later, paperclay.
Can't say it was an unqualified success, but I'm happy (all this time later) with the result. Having only the vaguest ideas of what I wanted to end up with is sometimes a blessing, because it allows you to follow what turns up, and in this case, two very different ladies appeared.
The one with her aquiline nose and blue eyes is destined for auction in Castroville, TX, to raise money for a large Catholic church. I feel she's a sort of cross between a mache head doll and a Santos cage doll, but she'll have a cloth body and sculpted hands, and a heavy, Raphealite figure.
The dark one is Molly, and she'll wear plaid homespun and white linen. They are a departure from the Izzanah Walker dolls, but I am enjoying the novelty. I intend to make more, learning as I have what to do. (And what not to do: DON'T dry the clay in the oven when you use styrofoam as the armature!)