I made these two rag dolls in early 2014. Apparently the heavy linen I made them from is too course for the average doll collector's taste. The ones I'd made of muslin sold right away, but these girls just languished until I had to do something.
Since I've recently been bitten by the painted doll bug and the cloth/rag doll bug, (I can show you the bite marks!) I figured I'd make an attempt at the sort of portrait painting the old oil-painted dolls have. They're not bad--but I'll get better. I do like the rough wool I made their hair from, and will have to try this again on other dolls.
My inspiration for these girls has almost no face left--she's a doll I came across a couple of years ago. I had to sell her, because the AC went out and the antique dealer's offer was good, but to this day I still regret it. So I try to imagine that Magda (I hope she's being taken good care of, wherever she is) started out as a painted portrait doll.